AWPE Advanced Workshop in Private Equity: the inside workings of GPs for LPs
This is an advanced three day private equity program, which takes the knowledge of attendees to the next level after the foundation five day private equity course. The foundation course gives an overview of the private equity cycle from valuation, screening to exit, and touches upon aspects of fund s management. The advanced course focuses on the management of the portfolio and exits with respect to the investments; and then goes into an in depth review of the aspects of a private equity operation, covering aspects including fund structuring and management, the distribution waterfall and fund modelling, fund reporting, relations with LPs and fundraising. Attendees will leave the course with the knowledge to set up and manage a PE fund.
- Managing the portfolio is a more unique skill than deal structuring
- Building an exit strategy into an investment and grooming a company for exit is a key to success
- The structuring and ownership of the GP is a predictor of success
- The reward structure of the GP team is a fundamental part of the design of a fund
- The challenge of fundraising is usually severely underestimated by aspiring GPs
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
People who already have some foundation knowledge of private equity, such as:
- People who have completed a private equity foundation course
- Private equity fund managers
- Principal equity investors within financial institutions
- Advisors with previous experience of working with PE fund managers
- Institutional investors in private equity funds
- Regulators involved with funds regulation
The focus of this course is on specialised in depth aspects of portfolio management and exits in private equity, and on the management of the funds themselves. Delegates will focus less on the basics of deal processing and more on the management of the portfolio. They will also learn about how PE funds are managed and structured; and how PE fund managers are rewarded. They will also learn how PE funds fundraise and what are the key success factors in successfully launching a PE fund.
ADVANCED PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT, EXITS AND PERFORMANCE ATTRIBUTION
– IPEV valuation and reporting principles
– Value attribution analysis
– Advanced portfolio management.
– PE exits in depth
FUNDS ORGANISATION, MANAGEMENT AND FUNDRAISING
– Corporate organization and economics of a PE fund
– Management organisation of a PE fund
– Private equity fund raising process and investors
– Evaluating fundraising proposals of GPs
FAILED FUNDS AND DESIGNING THE INTERNAL MANAGERIAL ARRANGEMENTS OF A FUND
– Failed funds