CHRPP Certificate in HR Policies and Procedures
Human resources policies and procedures are detailed guidelines and glue for both management and employees must observe to ensure the company will achieve its strategic direction and desired corporate culture.
HR Policies and Procedures serve several important functions:
1. They Communicate values and expectations for how things are done throughout the company
2. Keep the organization in compliance with Government legislation and provide protection against employment claims
3. Document and implement best practices appropriate to the organization
4. Support consistent treatment of staff, fairness and transparency
5. Help management to make decisions that are consistent, uniform and predictable
6. Protect the employees and the organization from the pressures of expediency from the external environment and potential management whims
As a company’s policies are developed they become a framework for consistency and fairness for all. Polices define management’s standards for making decisions on various personnel and organizational issues.
Clearly defined procedures and standards, are developed from polices that are well thought out by Senior management, express the company’s intent to make consistent and evenhanded decisions. Not enough can be said about the value that comes from policy development. Policy can help an organization run at its most efficient and effective level.
- Participants who attend this workshop realize the importance of good quality HR policies and procedures to the overall business
- Participants will have learned how to write effective organization business related HR policies and procedures for implementation throughout their organization
- Those in attendance will learn the critical importance of designing a stakeholder communication program throughout the company to embed the updated policies and procedures
- Understand how to implement a stakeholder communication program throughout the company to embed the updated policies and procedures
- Senior management in their organizations would be given an opportunity to review and approve the upgraded policies and procedures drafted by their workshop participants
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This workshop is intended for members of senior management, since they approve suggested policies, HR corporate HR professionals, other functional senior managers and supervisors interested in policy and procedure development.
Participants selected to attend this workshop will be required to actively participate throughout the entire workshop by agreeing to draft and write assigned HR policies and procedures as well as attend the entire three-day workshop as work as a product member of a participant team during the duration of this applied learning event.
– Welcome and workshop overview and objectives
– Participant problem census of workshop concerns and learning needs
– Role of workshop participants and responsibilities
– The importance of HR Policies and Procedures to ensure business success and desired corporate culture.
– HR best practices for high performing companies
– Why HR Policies and Procedures fail in companies
– HR Policies – a values clarification exercise
– Working definitions of HR Policies and Procedures
– Elements of effective written HR Policies and Procedures
– Major HR Policy and Procedure areas for consideration at SEC
– Formulation of HR Policy and Procedure development task teams (team assignments, deadlines, management presentation requirements)
– Task teams meet to get organized and plan – how to accomplish their assigned tasks, who to write what specific new HR Policy and to develop working timetable for the week
– Task teams continue to work on their individual assignments involving researching best practice HR Policies and Procedures, reviewing existing HR Policies and Procedures for improvement and new ones that need to be added in their organization, plus reviewing their employee handbook for needed improvements.
– Individual task team members continue to develop, draft, write specific HR Policies and Procedures for which they have been assigned for their Management’s approval and implementation
– Individual task team members present their assigned draft HR Policies and Procedures to the entire group for feedback and necessary revision… Each participant will be given 30 minutes to present with feedback.
– Continuation of individual task team members presentation of their new written HR Policies and Procedures for critique, feedback and needed necessary revisions to the entire group.
– Task teams and individuals revise their specific written HR Policies and Procedures and plan their respective back home presentations for their Senior Management approval.
– The importance of designing an Employee Communication Program to announce new and improved HR Policies and Procedures throughout their organization
– Drafting the Employee Communications Program – critical elements and requirements to consider
– Task teams meet to finalize and prepare their back home presentations to Senior Management.
– Participant consultation session on other critical HR issues of their choice
– Workshop feedback, evaluation and adjournment